Text message marketing has become increasingly popular for a multitude of reasons. It’s a powerful tool for sending abandoned cart notifications, new product launches, or sale announcements. However, it has the potential to be used for a better purpose. It’s well known that a text is far more personal than an email because most people only have one cell phone number and are wary of giving it out to just anyone. To help build stronger connections with their audiences, businesses should focus on using text as a relationship marketing tool rather than just a transactional one.
What is Relationship Marketing?
“Relationship marketing is a marketing strategy that cultivates deeper, more meaningful relationships with customers to ensure long-term satisfaction and brand loyalty. Relationship marketing is not focused on short-term wins or sales transactions — rather, it is focused on delighting customers for the long haul.”
Long story short, it’s not just about pushing for people to make a purchase or convert. It’s about being customer-focused.
So, how can you utilize text messaging to build trust and a deeper relationship with your customers? Through content.
Regardless of the industry, your brand is likely already creating tons of content. Blogs, social media posts, Instagram stories, TikToks, podcasts, Youtube videos, newsletters…should we keep going? What is all of that content great for? Engagement and connection. Take all of that content you’ve already made and send it directly to your audience through text. You’re not going to get lost in a spam folder, or forgotten about in a newsfeed.
When you stop pushing transactions, all of a sudden, you’ve built brand loyalists that want to hear updates from your business because it’s more meaningful and relatable.
Content ideas to help boost your audience relationships:
- Brand Story & History – Why or how did you start your business, and what are some things that drive passion for your brand?
- Behind the Scenes – Take an opportunity to feature the team members that make your brand what it is, how your product is made, and how your company is run!
- Customer Highlights – Sharing user-generated content is a great way to connect with your subscribers, and it makes them feel heard and seen.
- FAQs – Does your brand have an FAQ list? This can be a great way to educate your audience about your brand and all that it offers.
- Industry Insights – Your subscribers see you as experts in your space, so take this opportunity to provide updates on your industry and share any helpful details, tips, and tricks.
- Pop Culture References – Everyone loves a meme! Is there a relatable dilemma that people in your industry face? Show your brand’s personality, build rapport with your audience, and earn a few laughs by joining in on the hype around trends!
- Tutorials: Demonstrate how to use your product or products related to your industry. In the food industry? Share how to make a delicious recipe. In the beauty industry, share your 5 favorite skincare products.